Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Some Light Thinking for 2 a.m.

Why is it that women feel the need to be so many people’s caretakers? I’d like to think that it’s a just an unrealistic oppressive stereotype to justify our patriarchal society. However, it seems to be quite truthful. I’m often witness to it, and guilty of it. But I can’t help to sense a double standard in this. It seems so normal for women to want to please everyone around them; the famous, “I can’t say no.” But as sought-after this quality is to men (and to Hollywood), it also seems to be the root of nagging, which women are strongly criticized for. If women aren’t nurturing, their femininity is undermined, but being too nurturing considers them to be suffocating.

Please comment with some insight. I feel that I’m missing something big here, and I’d like to analyze this further. And you, beautiful readers, are just the people to help!

In the meantime, I’ll be enjoying the cool spring temperatures that have been gracing my side of Pennsylvania and thinking about how much more often I should be posting on here.

Lots of love and lots of jam,

Prof

No comments:

Post a Comment